Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Kristine Kuchta's Winter Term Project

For my Winter Term project, I taught myself how to use 3 statistical packages that are free on the internet. The first was R Commander, a powerful addition to the popular package R. This was my favorite overall, because I was able to easily create boxplots, histograms, and scatterplots of data. Gretl and PSPP are very easy to use, but have less visual outputs. I would suggest PSPP for beginners. To wrap up my month of study, I collected data on the price of single family homes in the Oberlin area. I used a linear regression model to find that one can predict the price of a home in Oberlin from the number of bathrooms and the size of the estate. I really enjoyed my Winter Term because I was able to do something I was interested in!

~Kristine #6

No comments:

Post a Comment